Are Stormtroopers Left-handed ?
In the 1977 film "Star Wars" by George Lucas, most of the Stormtroopers are left-handed. That is because of how the weapons are constructed. Their weapons are based on a real weapon, essentially the Sterling L2A3 9mm SMG (sub-machine gun) a military weapon developed in the late 1940s in the UK and adopted by the British and Canadian Armies in the 1950s. The magazine is on the left-hand side of the stormtroopers weapons. This construction caused it to hit the stormtroopers in the chest. Therefore they have to switch grip of the weapon, which made them look like left handed stormtroopers. The curved left entry side mounted magazine was removed and replaced with a much smaller version, and that was as much as it was modified for the film.
A left-handed Stormtrooper
The Sterling L2A3 9mm SMG
As the Sterling appeared in the 1977 film after a few modifications
Modern day trooper from Star Wars: The Clone Wars still left-handed
Other Useless Star Wars Trivia
- James Caan, Al Pacino and Burt Reynolds turned down the role of Han Solo.
- At one point, George Lucas planned for the characters of Luke Skywalker and his aunt and uncle, to be dwarves.
- George Lucas at one time considered making Han Solo black. He auditioned several black actors and even musicians (including Billy Dee Williams) until finally settling on Glynn Turman. But after this he decided to make the role white and went with Harrison Ford.
- The pulsating engine sound of the Star Destroyer is a manipulated recording of a broken air conditioner.
- According to an interview with George Lucas, originally Luke was a girl, Han Solo was an Alien, the wookiees were called Jawas, and R2-D2 and C-3PO were called A-2 and C-3.
- Though the only thing Chewbacca can say from start to finish is a Wookiee growl, he has the last line in the film.
- Luke went through several changes. He started out as a woman, then he was a dwarf, then he was a 60 year-old general then his name was changed from Luke Starkiller to Luke Skywalker.